Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where God is Leading Me

8/15/12

         Today I signed up to go back to school. College round 2. Who would’ve thought? After I graduated college over a year ago with a Bachelor’s degree in communications I never thought I would have the desire to go back to school, but this time I am going with more purpose, determination, and passion than I ever had in my first four years. I know without a doubt this is God’s plan for my life and even though I took some time to think and pray about this decision, I clearly remember several instances of God speaking to me. The first time I was sitting in the waiting room of the chemo therapy doctor and I was talking to mama about how all these doctors and nurses at UNC were helping me. I started crying just talking about it. I knew then that was something I wanted for my life. I wanted to be able to give to someone else what these doctors and nurses were giving to me. I wanted a career that really made a difference. Later that very same day as I was walking through the cancer hospital in Chapel Hill I saw/met three patients that really got my attention. The first was a little boy, probably only around 6 years old, who was going into the radiologist department. He seemed upbeat, like a typical little boy, but I could tell he was a patient. I remember he was wearing some kind of hat covering up the fact that he had lost his hair, so he must have been on chemo as well as radiation. Even though he seemed happy, he broke my heart. I saw this little boy as I was leaving the radiologist office, after finding out that I would not need radiation therapy, and it was so upsetting to me that I was leaving there with good news and he was going in there for treatment. The next patient I saw was a forty-something year old man named Michael, who I met in the chemo therapy waiting room. He and I shared our situations, his worse than mine, and I just felt so sorry for him. He told mama and I how he was getting ready to start both chemo therapy and radiation and I knew all we could do was pray for him and pray for the doctors and nurses that were treating him. The third patient I saw seemed to strike me the most. She was a young girl, probably close to my age, who I saw in the lobby of the cancer hospital as I was leaving. I only saw her from a distance but that was enough. She was obviously going through treatments. She was pale, very thin, and wore a scarf to cover up her bare head, but I could tell that she was a beautiful girl. She was walking around so that gave me a sense of hope that she was having a good day and her energy was up, but she broke my heart. I have no idea of her name, her story, or her situation but I can’t get her image out of my mind. I felt like she was me, if my situation had not turned out as well as it had. I felt mixed emotions, thankful for how the Lord had healed me, but also saddened over what this girl is going through. No, I do not know her at all, but I can relate to her. Like myself, she was blindsided by cancer, her life was turned upside down, I’m sure the, “Why me?  I’m so young,” thought has run through her mind more times than she can count. God spoke to me through all three of these patients at UNC. He showed me the plan he has for my life, what I am meant to do. That is why I am now going back to school to be a nurse. I know without a doubt that I am meant to be a pediatric oncology nurse and work with other young people who are going through what I went through and what those three patients went through. Not only will I have the education to assist my future patients but I will be able to relate to them and know what they are going through. To me that would be comforting. If having cancer allows me to help others by sharing my story and being able to give them comfort, hope, and encouragement then it was all worth it. I am really drawn not only to oncology, but to pediatric oncology. Cancer is scary for all ages, but because of me having cancer at such a young age (and I can’t imagine having it even younger!), those children/adolescents battling this disease have such a special place in my heart! I am so excited to see where God is leading me!

No comments:

Post a Comment