Tuesday, January 29, 2013

First Trip to Houston

1/25/13

      This afternoon we got home from Houston. Our trip went great...considering the circumstances. I love Houston! It's a huge city, but still had a country feel to it. The Texas flag was flying everywhere, there were tons of palm trees, gorgeous weather, and just so many things I had never seen before!
      After we arrived on Wednesday we spent most of the day driving around Katy, where we will be living while we're out here. We drove around and found my doctors' offices and then just looked around the surrounding area. Katy is a suburb of Houston and is much smaller than Houston, but compared to home, this place is crazy busy! That night we went to supper at Olive Garden and the sweetest thing happened! Since my last surgery I've had some trouble eating and didn't even think about salad being a problem until the dressing set my mouth on fire! One bite was all it took. A few minutes later the waitress came over, noticed I wasn't eating the salad and asked if I would like soup instead. She was so sweet and said she had noticed my bandages. Then she asked what type of surgery I had. When I told her I had cancer she had a persons usual reaction when they ask that question...like they realize they've just stuck their foot in their mouth. I reassured her that it was okay that she asked and that it didn't bother me to talk about it. Then she asked me a question that I have never been asked before: "How does it feel to have cancer?" I fell silent. I didn't even know how to respond. It sounds so cliche but it's something you can't explain and unless you have had cancer then you have no idea how I am feeling. I felt like I stumbled around for words and ended up mumbling something about how at first it's a shock but then I just go through the motions and do whatever it takes to get better. I can't believe I just drew a blank like that, but really there are no words to explain how I feel. This time in my life is filled with such mixed emotions. Looking back that would have been the perfect witnessing opportunity. I could've so easily shared how God has given me so much peace during my past cancer experience and my current one, but like I said, unfortunately I had no words. A few minutes after that conversation ended and we finished our supper the manager came over to our table. Long story short, our waitress had told him about me. She had told him my situation and how she loved my positive attitude. As a welcome to Houston he took care of our bill and gave us an Olive Garden gift card so we will have to come back and see them. That was so sweet! I had to hug him! We left there with the biggest smiles on our faces! Not because he took care of our bill or because of the gift card but because of the sweet people God put in our life and the simple way they made us feel welcome to Houston and that God really did lead us to the right place!
      Then on Thursday we went to all three of my doctors appointments and apartment hunting. It went well but it wore us out! My doctors discussed treatment plans with me but they still have to meet with some other head and neck doctors before making a decision. The doctors were all very hopeful, helpful, and encouraging, but receiving all that information at one time was very overwhelming!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment