Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Temporary Texan

1/23/13

      Mama, Nana, and I are in the air right now on our flight to Houston. We left GSP around 7:00 this morning, had a short layover in Atlanta, and are now on our way to Texas. Even though the circumstances aren't ideal I am still so pumped about going to Texas! Who knows if or when I would have ever seen Texas otherwise. I'm choosing to look at the positive aspects of this situation! I hope when all this is over and years from now my family and I can look back on this time as "the time we lived in Texas" and not just "when Jenna was sick." I want to have some good memories while we are  living here! I'm also excited to simply be sitting here on this airplane between Mama and Nana having a good time! I love flying! The moment we hit the taxi way it takes me back to a few years ago when I took pilot lessons. As soon as we took off this morning I told myself that as soon as I am better that is something I am going to do for myself...start flying again! By now the flight to Houston is almost over. I'm ready to see if Texas is all it's cracked up to be!

      We arrived in Houston around 10:00 am (11:00 Carolina time). As soon as the plane started descending I went into tacky tourist mode and started leaning over Nana trying to take pictures out of the plane window. I was THAT girl! I was freaking out to finally see Texas...wishing Emma was here to join me because Mama and Nana didn't understand all the hype. After getting our luggage we met this precious lady who worked for the rental car company. She found out I was coming here to be a patient at MD Anderson and told me how big God is and how she would be praying for me! That was a perfect way for me to enter Texas!! What a welcome!! After getting our rental car we drove around Houston for a while to find some lunch, my doctor's office, and our hotel. I took pictures out the car window the entire time. This place had me hooked in ten minutes. Palm trees everywhere, it's so warm, it's a big city with a country feel. Everywhere I looked there was something new to see. Clearly I'm from a small town, but this is TEXAS! Plus, Friday Night Lights is my favorite show. If you've seen it you know exactly where I'm coming from, if not, you're missing out! Anyways, I also realized that today was supposed to be the date of my next 8 week checkup appointment in Chapel Hill. So, if I wouldn't have found the knot in my neck on my own a few weeks ago it would have just been found today...almost three weeks later. Scary. It paid off that I was super paranoid and was constantly checking myself!! I am so thankful for that! But it's funny how things work out. If I hadn't felt the knot on my own, today I would've been in Chapel Hill, going to my normal checkup expecting good results and getting blown away by news that would change my life. Instead, on that very same day I left for Houston because I found the knot weeks ago and ALREADY faced the bad news and the surgery. Things could've been so much worse but The Lord saved me from that. I truly believe that. God is so good!!!

1 comment: