Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wake Up Call: Generosity

      I have learned so much through this trial. Much more than I could ever begin to write about or attempt to explain. One aspect that has really been on my heart over the past few days is how so many people, both loved ones and strangers, both new friends and old, have stepped up to the plate in more ways than one and been there for me and my family! Never in my life have I seen anything like this! People from my hometown and the surrounding area have "Painted the Town Purple" in support of me because it has always been my favorite color. I'm talking purple ribbons on store fronts, mailboxes, and front doors, purple bows, purple balloons, the works! I actually just found out that back home on St. Patrick's Day this year people will be sporting purple instead of green! I could be wrong, but I don't know of any other cancer patient in the entire world who has an entire town behind her like this! I would love to be closer to home so I could see all of this first hand but I love seeing the pictures! Either way, it's amazing and I feel so blessed! Along with painting the town purple I have revived more cards than I can count! Every single day we have a mailbox full of cards and packages providing us with words of love and encouragement and many scriptures! So sweet! Oh, and the fundraisers!!! So much work from my family, my church family, and hometown friends have gone into making these fundraisers happen and making them successful. My cousins especially have blown my mind! Countless hours of getting together and planning every last detail, along with having t-shirts designed and ready to sell on my behalf! Not to mention the most precious going away gift they had made specially for me which included bible verses and hand written notes. I have also met some of the most loving, prayerful, supportive new friends since I moved to Texas! I know without a doubt that the Lord placed them in my life for a reason. He knew My family and I needed them, along with their church family, during this time. Everyone I have met in this church family opened up their arms to me the very first time we ever met. I was a complete stranger, a thousand miles from home, and they were willing to help my family and me in any way possible. Nothing short of amazing! That is the kind of love and generosity the Lord expects from His people and the type of love and generosity I strive for.
       I'm not trying to sound, by any means, like this experience is about how much people can do for me or how much people can give me, but it has been a huge wake up call for me! I've realized that I have some of the most loving, encouraging, generous, faithful people in my life and I now aspire to be more like them! They are also some real prayer warriors!! When they say they are going to pray for me, they mean it! They are constantly praying for me and they remind me of that daily! I think of how many times in past years I have known of someone who was in a similar situation, sick or going through a difficult time, and I said I would pray for them. Yes, I prayed for them, maybe a time or two, but I now realize that as christians we are called to do more, as much as we can. We are called to be generous, and I do not mean simply with money, but with our time, our love, our efforts, and most importantly our prayers! I see what all my loved ones are doing for me during this trial...simple text messages just to check on me, reminders that they are praying for me, sweet cards to make me laugh, cry, and encourage me all in one! Some send flowers or baked goodies. I even received some Valentine's Day packages. During times like this it really is the thought that counts! So when this trial of mine is over I need to keep this in mind. It took witnessing it up close and personal for me to realize this was an area which I was clearly lacking. I know how much all of this has meant to me so I need to show more generosity to others who are in my shoes! It is so easy to think, "I don't know what to say to her," "I don't want to bother her," or maybe think it's awkward to talk to someone who has cancer, especially a young person. I think some people just don't know how to deal with things like sickness or exactly how to go about it, but take it from me, saying one little thing is better than saying nothing at all! A cancer patient is still the same person they were before, just having a little bump in the road. A simple message saying, "I'm praying for you," or something along those lines is all it takes. A good first step. I've had my wake up call recently, maybe this blog post will help others. The Lord calls us to be loving, generous servants and He calls us to obey Him.

"...the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" -Acts 20:35
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control." -Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment